Nursultan Nazarbayev underscored the importance of establishing an open dialogue between the state and society for the benefit of strengthening the unity of the nation and the stable development of the country.
- The forum should revitalize the non-governmental sector and open ways forward for the civil society. I am confident that at today's meeting specific proposals will be announced on topical issues on the agenda, the Head of State said.
The President of Kazakhstan dwelt separately on the work of organizations providing support to orphanages and crisis centres called “Mama's House”. In this regard, Nursultan Nazarbayev called on representatives of national business to assist NGOs involved in this work.
The Head of State also thanked NGO representatives for their activities in support and rehabilitation of certain categories of citizens, growth of social entrepreneurship and carrying out of other socially significant projects.
The President of Kazakhstan noted some results of the development of the country’s non-governmental sector.
- The number of NGOs increased more than fourfold - from 5,000 in 2003 to 22,000 in 2018. The financing of the state social order has increased 65 times, which today is over 20 billion tenge. As a result, the activity of NGOs today covers almost all significant spheres of our society, ”Nursultan Nazarbayev stated.
Pointing to significance of involving the non-governmental sector in key areas of social policy, the Head of State instructed to take measures to ensure the transparency of procedures for financing NGO projects.
- To this end, I am instructing the Government, as part of digitalization process, to create a unified electronic register of verification of NGOs. In it, non-governmental organizations will get registered on a voluntary basis, posting the necessary materials that will allow forming NGO ratings to ensure their access to funding, the President of Kazakhstan said.
In addition, Nursultan Nazarbayev drew attention to the need to create an effective mechanism of civilian control, in which the key role will be assigned to the Civil Alliance of Kazakhstan.
- We should proceed with transferring state functions to the non-governmental sector. In this area, projects can be implemented in the field of ecology, social work, protection of children’s rights and other areas. I propose to the Government and the Ministry of Social Development to study in detail all the voiced proposals for their practical implementation, the Head of State said.
The event also noted the need for active participation of NGOs in the evaluation process and ensuring public oversight of carrying out the governmental programs. In this regard, the Government was instructed to develop a Concept for the civil society development before 2025.
- It is also necessary to strengthen the role of the non-governmental sector in actualizing the youth policy. This is especially important, given that 2019 is declared the Year of Youth, the President of Kazakhstan said.
Along with that, Nursultan Nazarbayev ordered to take measures to expand programs to support the volunteer movement. The Head of State stressed that holding EXPO-2017 and the XXVIII Winter Universiade showed the relevance of such activities.
- NGOs’ partaking in creating a proactive environment for people with disabilities, children and young people with special needs is positive. The development of an inclusive society is the world’s practice and one of the key social tasks accomplished through civil society in all developed countries, the President of Kazakhstan emphasized.
The Head of State noted the importance of further implementing Ruhani Zhangyru Program and starting work within the framework of priorities identified in the new article titled “Seven Faces of the Great Steppe”. The President of Kazakhstan stressed the need to involve NGOs in the process of implementing the areas and projects identified in it.
- Akims of cities and regions need to introduce a system of providing services to the population in open barrier-free spaces on the principle of a single window using digital technologies, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In conclusion, the Head of State charged the Government with shaping the concrete action plan following the proposals voiced during the Civil Forum and providing for the participation of all interested government bodies.